Become a Hospitality Management expert in the Tourism Industry
First and only French School to be awarded TedQual certification from the World Tourism Organization
- MSc (5 years of higher education)
Head of the Master of Science in International Hospitality Management Thierry Rigaux
The MSc in International Hospitality Management is open to students who have already studied in higher education for a minimum of 3 years. The programme provides you with an array of opportunities, preparing you to work in a multifaceted industry. It has been designed to train students to become managers in the international hospitality industry of tomorrow by addressing the challenges of digital services, the customer experience, and sustainable development, in particular. Through this programme of excellence, you will develop all the skills necessary to assume positions of responsibility in a business sector offering attractive career opportunities in France and internationally. Throughout the programme, industry professionals will be on hand to ensure that your learning is in perfect harmony with the realities of the industry. Teaching focusses on the management of Business Units, such as Hotels, Resorts, and Leisure Parks. Course content includes Customer Relations as well as detailed study of the services offered to all categories of customers. This MSc programme offers you the opportunity to validate a double Master qualification with our partner, ESTHUA.
Why choose the Master of Science in International Hospitality Management
- The opportunity of obtaining a double Master qualification with our partner university, ESTHUA
- A programme accredited by CFET - Conférence des Formations d'Excellence au Tourisme (an association created by a number of French Government Ministries to promote excellence in tourism education)
- The proven expertise of Excelia Tourism and Hospitality School, training students since 2005
- A unique mentoring system provided by our graduates to promote career networking
EXPLORING 3 KEY AREAS
- Digital Services… as they represent more than 2/3 of the sector's turnover and are radically altering current industry professions (Tour Operators, In-coming Tour Operators, etc.) whilst generating new areas of expertise
- Customer Experience... as customer satisfaction involves designing ever more attractive and personalised products and services
- Sustainable Development... as Hospitality Management of tomorrow must be responsible and embrace both sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
OUR CAMPUS in La Rochelle
The entire programme takes place on the La Rochelle campus.
All you need to know about languages, assessment, lessons and your teachers
- 1st year: Choice of French or English Track
- 2nd year: English Track
- Possibility of studying French as a Foreign Language (FLE)
Types of evaluation:
- Continuous assessment: 40% of the final mark
Throughout the year, you will work on group or individual projects, which will be marked by your teachers.
- End-of-semester exams: 60% of the final mark
These take the form of written or computer-based exams.
- End of studies thesis at the end of the 2nd year
The MSc in International Hospitality Management combines the expertise of Visiting Professors with that of teachers from Excelia Tourism and Hospitality School. In addition, lessons are given by industry professionals. Renowned for their strong expertise in their respective fields, these professionals focus on real business issues.
Types of lessons:
You will not only benefit from purely academic lessons covering the theory but also from tutorials giving you the opportunity of putting this theory into practice.
- Year 1: you will explore the wider tourism industry, as well as the strategic aspects and challenges involved in tourism management and in Hospitality Management.
- Year 2: you will follow a series of specialised lessons enabling you to acquire the necessary skills to be able to…
- identify the strategic challenges facing Hospitality Management
- design a suitable strategy for Hospitality Management
- implement the strategy of a hotel, a holiday complex, a resort, etc.
Year 1 (four years of post-High School education) or
Year 2 (five years of post-High School education)
September-April: Lessons April - September:
5 months internship in France or abroad or 3 months internship + a 2-month Humacité© project
September - January: Lessons January - June: 6 month internship in France or abroad
During Year 1, you will explore the wider tourism industry, as well as the strategic aspects and challenges involved in 360-degree tourism management.
Themes in Year 1
- Strategic Management in the Tourism Industry
- HR Management for the Tourism Industry
- Budgeting and Financial Management of Tourism Projects
- International Marketing Strategy for the Tourism Industry
- Tourism and Digitalisation
- English for Professional Projects or other languages(German, Italian, Spanish, French as a Foreign Language)
- Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship
- New Trends, Issues & Challenges for Tourism
- Management of Government Agencies and Involvement of Local Authorities
- Tourism Organisations and Stakeholders
- Services Marketing in the Tourism Industry
- Case Methodology
- Sustainable Tourism and Responsible Marketing
- Document Research
Highlights of Year 1
- Extensive focus on Soft Skills: you will develop an understanding of the importance of human and interpersonal skills in business (listening, open-mindedness, communication, creativity, leadership, etc.)
- Teamwork: you will work in groups on real-life business management projects
During Year 2, you will acquire the necessary skills to take up managerial positions whilst developing expertise in strategic Hospitality Management.
Themes in Year 2
- Strategic Hotel Management
- Revenue Management for Hospitality
- Cost Control and Budgeting
- Operational Hospitality Management
- Strategic Food & Beverage Management
- Strategic Repositioning of Tourism Destinations, Events & Hospitality Organisations
- Interactive Marketing
- Management of the Workplace and Skills
- Consultancy Project
- TOEIC training
- Thesis Methodology
- End-of-studies Thesis
Highlights of Year 2
- A year to acquire the necessary skills in Hospitality Management with a strong international dimension
- A vocationally-oriented year culminating in a 6-month internship
- Contribution and involvement of industry professionals from the field of tourism
The different courses and projects are provided for indicative purposes only and are subject to change from one year to the next.
Humacité© and Climacité© Projects
You have the opportunity of undertaking a 2-month social, humanitarian or civic voluntary project in an NGO or an association, either in France or abroad. This is one of the unique features of Excelia, which is committed to educating students to become future managers who are both responsible and conscious of the importance of their role in society.
Internships: 9-11 months of experience
Each year of study concludes with an internship, to be carried out in France or abroad. By the end of your studies, you will have acquired between 9 and 11 months of valuable company-based experience.
In Year 1, this unique educational tool has been designed to enable you to develop your professional network through the support of an industry mentor who is a graduate of Excelia Tourism & Hospitality School and whose job reflects your own professional project. Your mentor will help you to both evaluate the current job market and to develop your career strategy.
Student Clubs and Association
As for all students at Excelia, you have the possibility of getting involved in one of our 50 clubs and associations. Focussed on collective and individual fulfilment, your commitment is in keeping with Excelia’s fundamental values, enabling you to develop your skills and knowledge in a supportive and professionally-oriented environment.
Personalised Support and Guidance
Throughout your studies, you will benefit from personalised support and guidance. The School offers workshops structured around personal development (self-awareness and self-assertion), communication tools (CVs and cover letters), understanding the job market, learning about different careers, and developing your professional network.
You will carry out a consultancy project on behalf of a major player in the industry such as Atout France or Futuroscope, etc. In groups, you will undertake a full analysis of the issue and then present your findings and associated recommendations to a panel made up of managers from the partner company.
Several times a year, graduates visit the School to present and explain the different strategies adopted by industry professionals or even to give a presentation on a specific career.
Your programme culminates with your end-of-studies thesis, which enables the School to evaluate your ability to identify the issues specific to the Hospitality industry, and to carry out analytical work, assess your findings and present appropriate solutions.
Supervised by research-active Faculty members, this thesis offers you the possibility to carry out research on an operational theme, providing you with the opportunity of enhancing your CV for your future employability.
Our graduates quickly attain roles of responsibility across the 5 continents and, thanks to this MSc, they rapidly rise to management positions. Below is a non-exhaustive list of the types of professions in which you could work.
Examples of professions:
- Hotel Manager
- Accommodation Manager
- Manager of a Holiday Complex
- Operations Manager
- Reservations Manager
- Revenue Manager
- Sales and Marketing Manager
- Theme Park Manager
- Facility Manager Development Manager
Facts & Figures
- 83% of our graduates find employment within 4 months of graduating
- € 33K average starting salary
- 25% work abroad
Tuition Fees 2021-2022
STUDENTS FROM WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION*
- Year 1: €11,800
- Year 2: €11,800
*27 European Union members: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France and French Overseas Territories, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.
STUDENTS FROM OUTSIDE THE EUROPEAN UNION
- Year 1: €12,500
- Year 2: €12,500
Tuition fees are provided for information purposes only and are subject to change from one year to the next.
In addition to tuition fees, you need to take into account the following costs:
- Multiservice charge (see details below)
- Annual administration costs relating to a double qualification (if applicable)
- Enrolment fees at a partner university in the case of a double degree (to be paid directly to the partner institution)
This obligatory one-off Multiservice fee gives access to the following services: Multimedia and Internet network, Cyberlibris (online library), Student Identity Card, Reprographics credit, Intranet, e-learning modules, Wi-Fi, Career Centre activities and services, International Insurance-Assistance (for any periods spent abroad during the period covered by this contract), University library, University Medical Service, etc.
Financing your studies
Admissions for international students or French students living outside France:Applications for Year 1
Year 1 is open to students with a minimum of 3 years of post-High School education or international equivalent. There are 2 possible start dates: September or January.
Motivation interview is carried out by internet via our dedicated platform (day and time of your choice).
Application fees: €50Applications for Year 2
Download our mobile application!
With our Mobile Application you can...
- Organise your arrival at Excelia
- Enjoy a virtual visit of our campuses, the surrounding areas and the major tourist attractions