The ideal programme to become an expert manager in the tourism industry
1st and only French School to be awarded TedQual accreditation from the World Tourism Organization
MSc (5 years of higher education)
Double degree MSc/MBA
- MSc (5 years of higher education)
- RNCP Level 7
Head of the MSc in Destination Management Thierry RigauxThe MSc in Destination Management is open to students who have already studied in higher education for a minimum of 3 years. The programme provides you with an array of opportunities and prepares you to enter a multifaceted industry. You will not only learn about how to promote a destination or region, but also how to market a tourism product and become a fully-operational manager within the industry.
You will therefore develop all the necessary skills for careers in the travel sector (travel agencies, tour operators, web operators etc.) as well as for regionally-based tourism bodies (tourist information centres etc.).
Throughout the programme, industry professionals will be on hand to ensure that your learning is in perfect harmony with the realities of the industry.
By the end of the programme, you will have all the necessary knowledge and skills to really understand the tourism industry, an industry that is constantly evolving, particularly due to digital technology.
This programme offers the opportunity of obtaining a double Master qualification with our partner, ESTHUA.
Why choose the MSc in Destination Management?
- A North-American MBA available in La Rochelle, in partnership with the UQÀM (Université du Québec à Montréal)
- A double Master qualification with our partner university, ESTHUA
- Personal support and guidance for optimal vocational integration
- Coach Inside: a unique initiative to develop Soft Skills such as interpersonal skills, empathy, leadership etc. which are indispensable in today’s business world
Exploring 3 principal areas
- Digital Technology: because ‘digital’ represents more than 2/3 of industry turnover, and because it is not only transforming the way the industry’s traditional actors operate (Incoming Tour Operators, Tour Operators etc.) but is also creating new careers (Traffic Manager etc.).
- The Customer Experience: because customer satisfaction means developing offers that are ever more appealing and interesting.
- Local areas and regions: because in a context of intense competition between destinations, it is essential to fully understand the dynamics of each destination – seasonality, type of clientele and tourism offer etc.
Our Campus: La Rochelle
The entire programme takes place on the La Rochelle university campus, located in the Minimes area of the city.
All you need to know about languages, assessment, lessons and your teachers
- Year 1: Choice of French or English Track
- Year 2: French Track
Three types of evaluation:
- Continuous assessment: 40% of the final mark
- End-of-semester exams: 60% of the final mark
- End-of-studies thesis, at the end of Year 2
The MSc in Destination Management combines the expertise of UQÀM Professors with that of the research-active Faculty at La Rochelle Tourism & Hospitality School.
In addition, lessons are given by industry professionals, renowned for their strong expertise in their respective fields.
Types of lessons:
In Year 1, students are divided into groups of 40 - 50 students, in line with their chosen study track: English Track, French Track.
Programme content is the same and comprises core course modules in essential subjects related to business, management and personal development. Six courses are taught by UQÀM professors. In Semester 2, students take two modules in their chosen specialisation.
In Year 2, students follow a study course linked exclusively to their specialisation.
September-April: Lessons April-September: 5-month internship in France or abroad, or 3-month internship plus a 2-month Humacité© project September-January: Lessons January-June: 6-month internship in France or abroad
Year 1 focusses primarily on the fields of business, management, personal development and tourism-related electives. You will have the opportunity to benefit from the expertise of Professors from ESG-UQÀM as well as the Faculty at La Rochelle Tourism & Hospitality School.
Themes in Year 1
- How to be a high-performing and responsible leader
- How to win contracts and be profitable
- How to boost the organisation and achieve objectives
- How to develop a strategic vision for organisations
- How to put theory into practice, in a specific industry sector or career: lessons in specialisation
Further benefits of Year 1
- A strong emphasis on Soft Skills: you will discover the importance of skills relating to human and relational qualities needed in today’s business environment (listening, open-mindedness, communication, creativity, leadership etc.)
- Intercultural teamwork: you will work in groups on real-life business management situations
- Coach Inside: a unique approach, enabling you to benefit from individual and group coaching, in order to support you when dealing with business issues whilst further enhancing your individual competencies
Year 2 focusses on your choice of specialisation. The aim is to train students in managerial functions while developing their expertise in the tourism industry.
Examples of courses in Year 2:
- Digital Marketing & Community Management
- The Customer Experience
- Destination Management
- New Business Models in Tourism
- Management of Tourism Organisations
- Regional Branding & Public/Private Partnerships
- Destination Marketing
- Regional Management of Sustainable Development
- Advanced Global Code of Ethics
Further benefits of Year 2
- A year entirely dedicated to your chosen specialisation (450 hours of lessons)
- A vocationally-oriented year, concluding with a 6-month internship
- Presentations and lectures by experts from the tourism industry
The different courses and projects are provided for indicative purposes only and are subject to change from one year to the next. The specialisations offered will only be available if the required minimum number of students is reached.
In Year 1 of the programme, you can undertake a 2-month social, humanitarian or civic voluntary project in an NGO or an association, either in France or abroad. This is one of the unique features of Excelia Group, which is committed to educating students to become future managers who are both responsible and conscious of the importance of their role in society.
Internships: 9-11 months of experience
Each year of study concludes with an internship, to be carried out in France or abroad. By the end of your studies, you will have acquired between 9 and 11 months of real company-based experience (more for those who choose the work-study track).
This unique educational tool has been designed to promote intercultural teamwork and develop your leadership skills. In Year 1, you will work in a group on a real company project that will involve 5 different courses. Each group will complete a detailed analysis and then present their findings and associated recommendations for the issue being tackled (brand leadership, financial management, multi-channel marketing, operations management, strategic management of organisations).
Throughout this team project, a coach will analyse your way of working and your leadership skills, as well as focussing on your Soft Skills (your human and relational qualities).
Student Clubs and Associations
As for all students at Excelia Group, you have the possibility of getting involved in one of our 50 clubs and associations. Focussed on collective and individual fulfilment, your commitment is in keeping with Excelia Group's fundamental values, enabling you to develop your skills and knowledge in a supportive and professionally-oriented environment.
Personalised Support and Guidance from your Mentor
Throughout your studies, you will benefit from personalised support and guidance. The School offers workshops structured around personal development (self-awareness and self-assertion), communication tools (such as CVs and cover letters), understanding the job market, learning about different careers and developing your professional network.
Between Year 1 and Year 2, you have the option of taking a gap year, in France or abroad, providing you with the opportunity of...
- gaining valuable professional experience
- carrying out a social, humanitarian or civic voluntary project
- improving your foreign language ability and learning about other cultures
You will carry out a consultancy project on behalf of a major player in the industry (e.g. Atout France, Futuroscope). In groups, you will complete a detailed analysis of the issue and then present your findings and associated recommendations to a panel made up of managers from the partner company.
Examples of past projects:
- "How can we adapt the World Forum event 2016 to the La Rochelle area?" (World Forum, 2016)
- "Developing a night-time tourism economy in Paris." (Welcome City Lab 2016)
- "How can we continue to develop our business?" (Yescapa, specialist in the hire of motorhomes between private individuals)
Several times a year, graduates visit the School to present and explain the different strategies adopted by industry professionals or perhaps to give a presentation on a specific career.
Your programme culminates with your end-of-studies thesis, which enables the School to evaluate your ability to understand and deal with a complex issue through theoretical analysis, to formulate a diagnosis and to put forward pertinent recommendations and solutions.
This dissertation is a real opportunity to conduct research on an operational theme, supervised by our research-active Faculty. It will be an asset on your CV as regards your future career.
Our graduates quickly take up positions of responsibility across all 5 continents and thanks to the MSc, they rapidly rise to management positions. The MBA awarded by UQÀM also opens up many opportunities on the American continent.
Our graduates work in a wide variety of posts, in organisations such as:
- Travel Agencies
- Tour Operators
- Incoming Tour Operators
- Tourist Information Centres
- Local and Regional Tourist Boards
- Internet-based Travel Operators.
Facts & Figures
- 85% of our graduates find a job within 6 months of graduating
- 35% secure a job contract before the end of their studies
- 42% work abroad – the principal countries are United Kingdom, Spain, Australia, India, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia
Sectors they work in:
- 43% in Hospitality and Catering
- 20% in Event Management
- 18% in the Travel Industry
- 8% in Tourist Boards
- 5% in Leisure and Entertainment
- 6% in other sectors of Tourism
Tuition Fees 2020-2021
Students from within the European Union*
- MSc over 2 years: €18,900
* 28 pays membres de l'Union Européenne : Allemagne, Autriche, Belgique, Bulgarie, Chypre, Croatie, Danemark, Espagne, Estonie, Finlande, France et France d'Outre-Mer, Grèce, Hongrie, Irlande, Italie, Lettonie, Lituanie, Luxembourg, Malte, Pays-Bas, Pologne, Portugal, République Tchèque, Roumanie, Royaume-Uni, Slovaquie, Slovénie, Suède.
Students from outside the European Union
- MSc over 2 years: €22,400
Tuition fees are provided for information purposes only and are subject to change from one year to the next.
In addition to tuition fees, you need to take into account the following costs:
- Multiservice charge (see details below)
- Annual administration costs relating to a double degree (if applicable)
- Enrolment fees at a partner university in the case of a double degree (to be paid directly to the partner institution)
This one-off Multiservice fee gives access to the following services: Multimedia and Internet network, Cyberlibris (online library), Student Identity Card, Reprographics credit, Intranet, e-learning modules, Wi-Fi, Career Centre activities and services, International Insurance-Assistance (for any periods spent abroad during the period covered by this contract), University library, University Medical Service etc.
Financing your studies
Admission for international students or French students living outside France:Applications for Year 1
Year 1 is open to students with a minimum of 3 years of post-High School education or international equivalent.
There are 2 possible start dates: September or January.
Personal motivation interview is carried out by internet via our dedicated platform (day and time of your choice).
Application fees: €50Applications for Year 2
Year 2 is open to students with a minimum of 4 years of post-High School education or international equivalent.
Personal motivation interview is carried out by internet via our dedicated platform (day and time of your choice).
Application fees: €50
Download our mobile application!
It will help you...
- to organise your arrival at Excelia Group
- to plan your visit to La Rochelle, its surrounding areas, beaches and local tourist attractions