The ideal programme to become an expert manager in the tourism industry
1st and only French School to be awarded TedQual accreditation from the World Tourism Organization
MSc (5 years of higher education)
Double Master qualification (equivalent to 5 years of higher education)
- MSc (5 years of higher education)
- RNCP Level 7
Director of the MSc in Destination Management Thierry RigauxThe MSc in Destination Management is open to students who have already studied in higher education for a minimum of 3 years. The programme provides you with an array of opportunities and prepares you to enter a multifaceted industry. You will not only learn about how to promote a destination or region, but also how to market a tourism product and become a fully-operational manager within the industry.
You will therefore develop all the necessary skills for careers in the travel sector (travel agencies, tour operators, internet-based travel agencies, etc.) as well as for regionally-based tourism bodies (Tourist Boards, Tourist Information Centres, etc.).
Throughout the programme, industry professionals will be on hand to ensure that your learning is in perfect harmony with the realities of the industry.
By the end of the programme, you will have all the necessary knowledge and skills to really understand the tourism industry… an industry that is constantly evolving, particularly due to digital technology.
This programme offers the opportunity of obtaining a double Master qualification with our partner, ESTHUA.
Why choose the MSc in Destination Management?
- A double Master qualification with our partner university, ESTHUA
- Certified by CFET (Conférence des Formations d’Excellence du Tourisme), an association for excellence in tourism education
- State-certified RNCP qualification Level 7 ‘Director of Tourism Products’ (equivalent to 5 years of post-High School education)
- Expertise provided by Excelia Tourism & Hospitality School, created in 2005
- A unique mentoring system involving our graduates, helping you to develop your network
Exploring 3 principal areas
Digital Technology… because ‘digital’ represents more than 2/3 of industry turnover, and because it is not only transforming the way the industry’s traditional actors operate (Incoming Tour Operators, Tour Operators etc.) but is also creating new careers (Traffic Manager etc.).
The Customer Experience… because customer satisfaction means developing offers that are ever more appealing and interesting.
Local areas and regions… because in a context of intense competition between destinations, it is essential to fully understand the dynamics of each destination – seasonality, type of clientele and tourism offer, etc.
Our Campus: La Rochelle
The entire programme takes place on our La Rochelle campus, located in the Minimes area of the city.
All you need to know about languages, assessment, lessons and your teachers
- Year 1: French Track or English Track
- Year 2: French Track
Three types of evaluation:
- Continuous assessment: 40% of the final mark
- End-of-semester exams: 60% of the final mark
- End-of-studies thesis, at the end of Year 2
The MSc in Destination Management combines the expertise of Visiting Professors with that of the research-active Faculty at Excelia Tourism School. In addition, lessons are given by industry professionals, renowned for their strong expertise in their respective fields.
Types of lessons:
In Year 1, students will be given a general overview of the tourism industry, as well as an insight into the strategic aspects and challenges of Destination Management. The aim is to understand the strategic fundamentals of Destination Management.
In Year 2, students benefit from specific lessons that will provide them with the skills to enable them…
- to ascertain the strategic issues of a tourism project
- to design a strategy to address current tourism issues
- to implement the strategy of a tourism project
September-April: Lessons April-September: 5-month internship in France or abroad, or 3-month internship plus a 2-month Humacité© project September-January: Lessons January-June: 6-month internship in France or abroad
Year 1 focuses on an overview of the tourism industry, the strategic considerations and the challenges of 360-degree Destination Management.
Courses in Year 1
- Strategic Management for Tourism
- HR Management for Tourism Organisations
- Budgetary and Financial Management for Tourism Projects
- International Marketing Strategy for Tourism
- Tourism and Digitalisation
- Business English (or other language: Spanish/German/Italian/French as a Foreign Language)
- Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship
- Latest Trends, Issues and Challenges for Tourism
- Management of Institutional Bodies and Involvement of Local Authorities
- Tourism Organisations and Key Stakeholders
- Services Marketing in Tourism
- Case Methodology
- Sustainable Tourism and Responsible Marketing
- Document Research
Further benefits of Year 1
- A strong emphasis on Soft Skills: you will learn about the importance of skills relating to human and relational qualities needed in today’s business environment – listening, open-mindedness, communication, creativity, leadership, etc.
- Teamwork: you will work in groups on real-life business management situations
- Coach Inside: a unique learning approach involving a mentor who is a graduate of Excelia Tourism & Hospitality School
Year 2 focusses on preparing you for careers in management whilst developing your expertise in the strategic management of destinations.
Courses in Year 2
- Development and Marketing of Destinations
- Digital Marketing and Loyalty Management
- Strategic Repositioning of Tourism Destinations, Events and Hospitality Organisations
- Destination Management, Diversification, Globalisation, Sustainability
- Management of Organisations
- Advanced Global Code Of Ethics: International Tourism Law
- Professional Practices: Co-creation
- Consultancy Project
- Regional Management of Sustainable Development
- Thesis Methodology
- Master Thesis
Further benefits of Year 2
- A year dedicated to acquiring the relevant practical skills for Tourism Management and Destination Management
- A vocationally-oriented year, concluding with a 6-month internship
- Presentations and lectures by experts from the tourism industry
The different courses and projects are provided for indicative purposes only and are subject to change from one year to the next. The specialisations offered will only be available if the required minimum number of students is reached.
In Year 1 of the programme, you can undertake a 2-month social, humanitarian or civic voluntary project in an NGO or an association, either in France or abroad. This is one of the unique features of Excelia, which is committed to educating students to become future managers who are both responsible and conscious of the importance of their role in society.
Internships: 9-11 months of experience
Each year of study concludes with an internship, to be carried out in France or abroad. By the end of your studies, you will have acquired between 9 and 11 months of real company-based experience (more for those who choose the work-study track).
In Year 1, this unique educational tool has been designed to enable you to develop your professional network through the support of an industry mentor who is a graduate of Excelia Tourism & Hospitality School and whose job reflects your own professional project. Your mentor will help you to both evaluate the current job market and to develop your career strategy.
Student Clubs and Associations
As for all students at Excelia, you have the possibility of getting involved in one of our 50 clubs and associations. Focussed on collective and individual fulfilment, your commitment is in keeping with Excelia's fundamental values, enabling you to develop your skills and knowledge in a supportive and professionally-oriented environment.
Personalised Support and Guidance from your Mentor
Throughout your studies, you will benefit from personalised support and guidance. The School offers workshops structured around personal development (self-awareness and self-assertion), communication tools (such as CVs and cover letters), understanding the job market, learning about different careers and developing your professional network.
Between Year 1 and Year 2, you have the option of taking a gap year, in France or abroad, providing you with the opportunity of...
- gaining valuable professional experience
- carrying out a social, humanitarian or civic voluntary project
- improving your foreign language ability and learning about other cultures
You will carry out a consultancy project on behalf of a major player in the industry (e.g. Atout France, Futuroscope). In groups, you will complete a detailed analysis of the issue and then present your findings and associated recommendations to a panel made up of managers from the partner company.
Examples of past projects:
- ‘Developing a night-time tourism economy in Paris’ (Welcome City Lab, 2016)
- ‘How can we continue to develop our business?’ (Yescapa, specialist in the hire of motorhomes between private individuals)
Several times a year, graduates visit the School to present and explain the different strategies adopted by industry professionals or perhaps to give a presentation on a specific career.
Your programme culminates with your end-of-studies thesis, which enables the School to evaluate your ability to understand and deal with a complex issue through theoretical analysis, to formulate a diagnosis and to put forward pertinent recommendations and solutions.
This dissertation is a real opportunity to conduct research on an operational theme, supervised by our research-active Faculty. It will be an asset on your CV as regards your future career.
Our graduates quickly take up positions of responsibility across all 5 continents and, thanks to the MSc, they rapidly rise to management positions
Our graduates work in a wide variety of posts, in organisations such as:
- Travel Agencies
- Tour Operators
- Incoming Tour Operators
- Tourist Information Centres
- Local and Regional Tourist Boards
- Internet-based Travel Agencies.
Facts & Figures
- 85% of our graduates find a job within 6 months of graduating
- 35% secure a job contract before the end of their studies
- 42% work abroad – the principal countries are United Kingdom, Spain, Australia, India, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia
Sectors they work in:
- 43% in Hospitality and Catering
- 20% in Event Management
- 18% in the Travel Industry
- 8% in Tourist Boards
- 5% in Leisure and Entertainment
- 6% in other sectors of Tourism
Tuition Fees 2021-2022
Students from within the European Union*
- MSc over 2 years: €23,600
* 27 European Union members: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France and French Overseas Territories, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.
Students from outside the European Union
- MSc over 2 years: €25,000
Tuition fees are provided for information purposes only and are subject to change from one year to the next.
In addition to tuition fees, you need to take into account the following costs:
- Multiservice charge (see details below)
- Annual administration costs relating to a double qualification (if applicable)
- Enrolment fees at a partner university in the case of a double qualification (to be paid directly to the partner institution)
This one-off Multiservice fee gives access to the following services: Multimedia and Internet network, Cyberlibris (online library), Student Identity Card, Reprographics credit, Intranet, e-learning modules, Wi-Fi, Career Centre activities and services, International Insurance-Assistance (for any periods spent abroad during the period covered by this contract), University library, University Medical Service etc.
Financing your studies
Admission for international students or French students living outside France:Applications for Year 1
Year 1 is open to students with a minimum of 3 years of post-High School education or international equivalent.
Start date: September.
Personal motivation interview is carried out by internet via our dedicated platform (day and time of your choice).
Application fees: €50Applications for Year 2
Year 2 is open to students with a minimum of 4 years of post-High School education or international equivalent.
Personal motivation interview is carried out by internet via our dedicated platform (day and time of your choice).
Start Date: September only
Application fees: €50
Download our mobile application!
With our Mobile Application you can...
- Organise your arrival at Excelia
- Enjoy a virtual visit of our campuses, the surrounding areas and the major tourist attractions