The ideal programme to become an expert manager in the tourism and destination industry, through "Best of France" experience
1st and only French School to be awarded TedQual accreditation from the World Tourism Organization (United Nations)
- MSc (5 years of higher education)
- RNCP Level 7
Director of the MSc in International Tourism and Destination Management Thierry RigauxThe MSc in International Tourism and Destination Management is open to students who have already studied in higher education for a minimum of 3 years. The programme provides you with an array of opportunities and prepares you to enter a multifaceted industry. You will not only learn about how to promote a destination or region, but also how to market a tourism product and become a fully-operational manager within the industry.
You will therefore develop all the necessary skills for careers in the travel sector (travel agencies, tour operators, web operators etc.) as well as for regionally-based tourism bodies (tourist information centres etc.).
Throughout the programme, industry professionals will be on hand to ensure that your learning is in perfect harmony with the realities of the industry.
By the end of the programme, you will have all the necessary knowledge and skills to really understand the tourism industry, an industry that is constantly evolving, particularly due to digital technology.
Why choose the MSc in International Tourism and Destination Management?
- A MSc programme certified by CFET, Association of Excellence Training Programs in Tourism, endorsed by French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs
- Nationally recognised Master degree in Tourism and Destination Management, State-Certified qualification at a Master Level (Level 7, Bac+5) by «France Compétences», under the supervision of the French Ministry responsible for vocational training
- Personal support and guidance for optimal vocational integration
For students entering the course in January, the two semesters presented in the video are staggered.
Exploring 3 principal areas
- Digital Technology: because ‘digital’ represents more than 2/3 of industry turnover, and because it is not only transforming the way the industry’s traditional actors operate (Incoming Tour Operators, Tour Operators etc.) but is also creating new careers (Traffic Manager etc.).
- The Customer Experience: because customer satisfaction means developing offers that are ever more appealing and interesting.
- Local areas and regions: because in a context of intense competition between destinations, it is essential to fully understand the dynamics of each destination – seasonality, type of clientele and tourism offer etc.
Our Campus: Tours
The entire programme takes place on the Tours campus, located in the heart of the Loire Valley, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
All you need to know about languages, assessment, lessons and your teachers
Three types of evaluation:
- Continuous assessment: 40% of the final mark
- End-of-semester exams: 60% of the final mark
- End-of-studies thesis, at the end of Year 2
The MSc in International Tourism and Destination Management combines the expertise of Visiting Professors with that of the research-active Faculty at Excelia Tourism & Hospitality School. In addition, lessons are given by industry professionals, renowned for their strong expertise in their respective fields.
Types of lessons:
Programme structure: 15 months, 120 ECTS
In Semester 1, from January to March you will acquire a strong strategic vision of Tourism and Destination industries.
In Semester 2, from April to July, discover a large range of applied modules in Tourism, Destination, Event, Digital, Experience Design, Sustainable Development in Tourism…in order to provide you the practical and theoretical content to be effective at a strategic level as a leader in Tourism and Destination industry.
Learning Expedition “Best Of France”: you discover and experiment the French expertise in Tourism and Destination Management directly, visiting the “Châteaux de la Loire”, “Futuroscope”, “Puy du Fou”, Cognac, Tours, La Rochelle, Périgord and Lascaux sites… (extra fees 400€).
In Semester 3, from August to March, you prepare your Master Dissertation, while you work as an intern for a company during 6 months, possibly everywhere in the world.
January - March: Lessons (30 ECTS) April- July: Lessons and Learning Expedition "Best Of France" (60 ECTS) August - March: 6-month strategic internship in France or abroad, and Master Dissertation (30 ECTS)
Themes in Semester 1: develop a Strategic Vision of Tourism and Destination industry
- Actors, Trends and Prospective in Tourism Industry
- Business Game in Tourism Management
- Tourism Policies
- Strategic Tourism and Destination Management
- Strategic Financing of Tourism Projects
- Research Methodology
The aim is to train students in managerial functions while developing their expertise in the tourism industry.
Themes in Semester 2: acquire applied skills in Tourism and Destination Management
- Human Resources Management
- Innovation Management: “Best of France” Learning Expedition. Discover and experiment yourself the Best of French Tourism and Destination! (extra fees 400€)
- Applied Project Management in Tourism
- Applied Data Analytics for Tourism and Destination
- Management and Governance of Sustainable Development in Tourism
- Global Issues in Tourism and Travel
- Consultancy Project: a real mission for a real company, become a consultant !
- Place Branding and Identity Strategies of Destinations
- Strategic Event Management
- Experience Design in Tourism, Hospitality and Entertainment
Semester 3: Master Dissertation and 6-month Company Mission
- Master Dissertation in Tourism and Destination: you choose your subject and demonstrate research and analysis skills
- A vocationally-oriented semester, concluding with a 6-month internship
The different courses and projects are provided for indicative purposes only and are subject to change from one year to the next. The specialisations offered will only be available if the required minimum number of students is reached.
Internships: 6 months of experience
The study concludes with an internship, to be carried out in France or abroad. By the end of your studies, you will have acquired 6 months of real company-based experience.
Personalised Support and Guidance from your Mentor
Throughout your studies, you will benefit from personalised support and guidance. The School offers workshops structured around personal development (self-awareness and self-assertion), communication tools (such as CVs and cover letters), understanding the job market, learning about different careers and developing your professional network.
"Best Of France" Learning Expedition
With 90 million of incoming international Tourists, France is the First Worlwide Destination. You have the opportunity, during the programme, to discover and experiment the French expertise in Tourism and Destination Management directly, visiting the “Châteaux de la Loire”, “Futuroscope”, “Puy du Fou”, Cognac, Tours, La Rochelle, Périgord and Lascaux sites… (extra fees 400€).
You will carry out a consultancy project on behalf of a major player in the industry (e.g. Atout France, Futuroscope). In groups, you will complete a detailed analysis of the issue and then present your findings and associated recommendations to a panel made up of managers from the partner company.
Examples of past projects:
- "How can we adapt the World Forum event 2016 to the La Rochelle area?" (World Forum, 2016)
- "Developing a night-time tourism economy in Paris." (Welcome City Lab 2016)
- "How can we continue to develop our business?" (Yescapa, specialist in the hire of motorhomes between private individuals)
Several times a year, graduates visit the School to present and explain the different strategies adopted by industry professionals or perhaps to give a presentation on a specific career.
Your programme culminates with your end-of-studies Dissertation, which enables the School to evaluate your ability to understand and deal with a complex issue through theoretical analysis, to formulate a diagnosis and to put forward pertinent recommendations and solutions.
This dissertation is a real opportunity to conduct research on an operational theme, supervised by our research-active Faculty. It will be an asset on your CV as regards your future career.
Our graduates quickly take up positions of responsibility across all 5 continents and thanks to the MSc, they rapidly rise to management positions. The State-Certified qualification at a Master Level delivered by “France Competences”, under the supervision of the Ministry responsible for vocational training, guarantee the quality of placement.
Our graduates work in a wide variety of posts, in organisations such as:
- Travel Agencies
- Tour Operators
- Incoming Tour Operators
- Tourist Information Centres
- Local and Regional Tourist Boards
- Internet-based Travel Operators
Facts & Figures
- 85% of our graduates find a job within 6 months of graduating
- 35% secure a job contract before the end of their studies
- 42% work abroad – the principal countries are United Kingdom, Spain, Australia, India, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia
Sectors they work in:
- 43% in Hospitality and Catering
- 20% in Event Management
- 18% in the Travel Industry
- 8% in Tourist Boards
- 5% in Leisure and Entertainment
- 6% in other sectors of Tourism
Tuition Fees 2021-2022
Students from within the European Union*
- 16 months MSc: €18,900
* 28 European Union members: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France and French Overseas Territories, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, The United Kingdom.
Students from outside the European Union
- 16 months MSc: €18,900
Tuition fees are provided for information purposes only and are subject to change from one year to the next.
In addition to tuition fees, you need to take into account the following costs:
- Multiservice charge (see details below)
This one-off Multiservice fee gives access to the following services: Multimedia and Internet network, Cyberlibris (online library), Student Identity Card, Reprographics credit, Intranet, e-learning modules, Wi-Fi, Career Centre activities and services, International Insurance-Assistance (for any periods spent abroad during the period covered by this contract), University library, University Medical Service etc.
Financing your studies
Admission for international students or French students living outside France:
- Applications for 15 months MSc:
The programme is open to students with a minimum of 3 years of post-High School education or international equivalent.
Start date: January.
Personal motivation interview is carried out by internet via our dedicated platform (day and time of your choice).
Application fees: €50
Download our mobile application!
With our Mobile Application you can...
- Organise your arrival at Excelia
- Enjoy a virtual visit of our campuses, the surrounding areas and the major tourist attractions